Tuesday, February 20, 2007

More Fun with Climbing Communication

So, my wife and I were climbing in Joshua Tree with some friends, and I ended up on top of a pinnacle as she was finishing a different climb on the same spire. As she struggled a bit with the crux moves, about 20 feet below me, she muttered, "Maybe I should just take up golf." Now, it was quite windy on top, and what I heard was, "Maybe I should just take a fall." I thought she might be considering jumping off to clear her head. This was the exchange that resulted:

She: "Maybe I should just take up golf."
Me: "Maybe you should, honey."
[Slight pause]
She: "Maybe you should shut the fuck up!"
Me [puzzled and hurt]: "What did I say?"

Outcome: She finished the climb with no problem, and we all had a good laugh. I'm a lucky guy, in fact, because my wife and I climb (and communicate) quite well together.

For those who missed it, check out the story of this unhappy couple's poor climbing communication.

No comments: